5 Effective Strategies for Post-Editing Machine Translation
Human translation takes time, energy, and resources. A great way to reduce this is by using machine translation post-editing, automating the process, and increasing your translation accuracy.
Here are five effective strategies for Machine Translation (MT) post-editing:
- Understandthe need of machine translation post-editing.
Machine translation is often used when you need to publish large volumes of content as quickly as possible with a limited budget; however, the result is not always accurate. Post-editing is necessary when:
- You require a culturally sensitive or relevant translation.
- Your text requires technical knowledge, especially in the fields of medicine, mechanics, or engineering.
- You are translating public-facing materials, such as product descriptions, operation manuals, and catalogs.
- You are translating legal documents for international validity, such as patents, birth certificates, and diplomas.
- Know your machine translator.
Each machine translator has its pros and cons, and you can’t fully rely on them for translating technical texts. Content ran through Google Translate may give a different result when ran using Microsoft Translator, and its best that you’re aware of the data you’re feeding before you translate anything. For the best results, treat a machine translator’s output as a suggestion; it still needs human review!
- Use the right tools.
Quality assurance is essential in post-editing. Luckily, there are numerous QA tools that you can use to run final checks so can edit the spelling, terminology, punctuation, consistency, and style accordingly.
- Take note of machine translation post-editing
How can you achieve consistency when a document goes through several post-editors at a time? It’s best to implement strict guidelines before fully translating content. You can use the TAUS post-editing guidelines, among others.
- Look for MT post-editing service providers.
If you aren’t confident in your ability to post-edit translations, it’s best to leave the task to professional translators.
Some translation companies offer machine translation post-editingservices to optimize your workflow, using the most advanced tools to prevent inaccuracies.